Maryland’s Public Information Act (“MPIA”), Title 4 of the General Provisions Article grants the public a broad right of access to records that are in the possession of State and local government agencies. It has been a part of the Annotated Code of Maryland since its enactment as Chapter 698 of the Laws of Maryland 1970 and is similar in purpose to the federal Freedom of Information Act.

(1) How do I submit a Public Information Act request? 

Online: Requests may be submitted via our online portal:

             >Submit Online MPIA Request<

Mail:  Requests may be mailed to: 

           Custodian of Records
           Executive Director's Office
           6611 Kenilworth Avenue
           Riverdale, MD 20737

We strongly encourage submitting requests electronically for faster processing. Requests will be processed during normal business hours. 

(2) What information should be included in my request? 

  • Clearly state that you are requesting documents under the Maryland Public Information Act.
  • Provide name and mailing address. (Include a daytime telephone number is also advisable in case staff needs to contact you for additional information.)
  • Describe the records* you are requesting. Please be as specific as possible. Include information such as the type of record, date(s), whether the records relate to Montgomery or Prince George’s County facility or park name if applicable, and other pertinent information.

*All requests must be for existing records. The MPIA does not require public agencies create new records.

(3) Is there a fee for submitting a request?

The MPIA provides requestors two (2) free hours of staff research and preparation time. Requests that take more than two hours will require payment of a reasonable fee.

(4) Where can I find M-NCPPC public records online?

M-NCPPC is committed to transparency and access to public information. Many of our records are posted online:

(5) Affidavit of Indigency

Under GP § 4-206(e), the official custodian may waive any fee or cost assessed under the PIA if the applicant asks for a waiver and if the applicant is indigent, as that term is defined under the Act. An applicant is considered indigent for purposes of the Act if his or her family household income is less than 50% of the median family income for the state, as reported in the Federal Register. GP § 4-206(a)(2).  To obtain a waiver on this basis, the applicant must submit an affidavit of indigency. GP § 4-206(e)(2). 

Affidavit of Indigency Form

A completed Affidavit of Indigency form may be submitted as an attachment along with your request. 

(6) Who do I contact for more information?

Email or call the Custodian of Records designee at 301-929-7814 for more information.