County residents and prospective police officer candidates are encouraged to find out for themselves what The Maryland-National Capital Park Police is all about. Anyone age 16 or older (minors must have parental permission) can take a half-day or a whole-day ride along with a Park Police officer. Thinking about a law enforcement career? Find out more by riding along with an experienced officer. In case of emergencies, citizens may be asked to leave the area for their own safety. Every effort will be made to accommodate your choice of time and date.
Ride-Along Program Participant Rules
- The Division's Ride-Along Program is available to all persons 16 years of age or older. Persons under the age of 18 must have parent or guardian permission.
- No one may ride more than once every 3 months without the permission of the Director of Field Operations.
- All participants shall be required to complete and sign the Ride-Along Application and Waiver Form (PDF). Forms should be mailed to or dropped off at Park Police Headquarters.
- All participants shall be scheduled for a 4 hour period at the Division's convenience.
- Participants shall wear proper casual dress attire, such as slacks and a shirt or blouse. T-shirts or shorts are not permitted.
- In case of a potentially dangerous or hazardous call, participants shall be dropped off at a safe location and arrangements will be made for pick-up by another available unit.
- Participants shall not become involved in any situation except at the officer's request.
- Participants shall remain in the police vehicle unless advised otherwise by the officer.
- Participants shall comply with the officer's instructions at all times.
- Participants shall not carry weapons of any type. Certified law enforcement officers with credentials may carry their approved weapon, only if they have received written approval from the Director of Field Operations.