Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the County’s comprehensive planning process
- Performs considerable community outreach to ensure meaningful public participation and engagement in all projects, plans, and studies
- Prepares plans and studies used to guide future growth and physical development in the County
- Collaborates with various local, state, federal, and County agencies in implementing Plan 2035 (the general plan), and area master and sector plans
- Monitors development activity within the entire County
- Reviews development proposals for consistency with the general, and area master and sector plans
- Acts as a liaison with local groups and organizations
provides planning assistance to municipalities, communities, partner agencies, and other stakeholders to implement the recommendations of Plan 2035, and area master and sector plans. This critical implementation work includes focused planning studies, urban design services, interagency coordination, stakeholder facilitation, technical planning assistance, grant assistance, and community and municipal capacity-building.
The Long-Range Planning Section works closely with communities, property owners, municipalities, businesses, and institutional partners to implement Plan 2035, prepare comprehensive area master or sector plans and to assist in the development of functional master plans. This more traditional planning and zoning work includes the creation or refinement of master plans and comprehensive rezoning for a wide variety of locations, from large rural areas of the County to specific Purple Line Light Rail stations or WMATA Metro stations.